- The seismological shift was
maintained around the clock during all the year. This system guaranteed the
rapid and correct information to authorities and the public about the seismic
activity and other important geologic phenomena in
- The most important seismic event with magnitude ML=
6.8 occurred on October 9. It was located in the
- On December 26, the large earthquake was registered
which caused the disastrous tsunami in the South of
- The seismic surveillance in the active volcanoes continued by means of seismic monitoring, visual observations, temperatures measurements, Web cameras and meteorological monitoring. With 101 visits to the active craters, fumaroles and other places in the volcanoes numerous measurements of temperature, gases samples and visual observations were obtained.
- In 2004 occurred no dangerous volcanic process of
- On May 21 occurred a lahar at
A variety of projects of development and geoscientific investigations were carried out, together with foreign institutions:
- The TUCAN project of seismological investigations of
seismicity and structure of the earth’s crust, with
- The "Hazard Map of Masaya Volcano," was
elaborated together with the
- Seismic and digital communications equipments for 12
seismic broad band stations were donated by the Government of
- With support of King’s College/London INETER became the
- In cooperation with the
- MOVIMONDO/ECHO donated seismic equipments, sea gauges, and Web cameras which are used to improve seismic and volcano monitoring and the tsunami warning system.
- The development of the Geographical Information System for Geo-Risks (SIG) was continued in cooperation with the Federal Institute of Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR/Germany)
- In cooperation with the Czech Geological Survey, a study of Geology and mineral deposits was executed in the area of Somoto.
- Two projects were executed in support to the House Building Program of the Institute of the Urban and Rural Housing (INVUR).
- INETER/Geophysics supervised the project of the
Seismic Vulnerability of
- Together with GEOMAR (
Development of the monitoring and early warning system for dangerous geologic phenomena
- The seismic network was maintained and further
developed. Ten seismic stations were installed in the active volcanoes
- In the last week of December, four Web cameras were installed for the
monitoring of the volcanoes